Eckhart Tolle gave an interesting talk at Google Headquarters titled: Meaning, purpose and wisdom in the Digital Age.
Bradley Horowitz guides the conversation around the topic of information, technology and awareness. Eckhart speaks of the opportunity and danger of technology and its ability to contribute to our awakening or assist in losing our connection to self. Some highlights from the conversation include:
- Present moment and consciousness are one in the same.
- Life can be summarized as – sense perception, thoughts, emotions and awareness. It is the awareness that creates the space for the perceptions, thoughts and emotions.
- First practice stillness when your not challenged or disturbed by bringing attention to awareness through sense perception (with alertness).
- All masters have achieved looking without thinking.
- Align yourself to what is going wrong by first accepting it, then you can give it space to approach the “problem” with consciousness.
- Distractions and stimulus’ are poor substitutes for aliveness. Their appeal is rooted in a belief that there is missing something in your life.
- Overcoming strong emotions: see the connection between the thoughts and emotions you feel. Anxiety, for example, is often created by thought patterns in the mind. Experience the falsehood of the thought through awareness.
Questions for contemplation:
Will technology and information have a negative or positive impact on global consciousness?
Can too much information inhibit the progress of the individual’s spiritual journey?
Does information equal wisdom?
I’d love to hear your thoughts – please share your comments!
grace & gratitude,